v. 2.20 April 05, 2006
Pointing the Way:
A Guide to Christian Literature on the Internet
Part I: Bibles, Bible Study Aids, Books
This document contains pointers to internet accessible literature related to Classical Christianity (a term coined by C.S. Lewis to describe a theology which affirms the importance of a transforming faith in Christ as God and Savior). Literature referenced is viewable online (ie. in both ascii and html format). Additional resources or corrections should be directed to the document maintainers at firstname.lastname@example.org with LIT in the subject line. We are not currently adding many new resources to this guide, but continue to try to update incorrect links as they need correction. We are adding links to our Guide to Christian Resources on the Internet.
The latest version of this document is available via web or ftp at ICLnet: http://www.iclnet.org/pub/resources/christian-books.html.
General Table of Contents | or See: Articles - Sermons - News - Periodicals - Creeds/ Confessions - Miscellaneous - Publishers
- Bibles for the Visually Handicapped International
- The Bible Gateway (includes RSV, KJV, NIV, NASB, Darby and Young's Translations, German, French, Spanish, Swedish, Tagalog and Latin)
- The Blue Letter Bible (KJV will include complete Matthew Henry Commentary, Strong's, Greek & Hebrew Lexicons,files from the Online Bible, and more)
- ARTFL Project: Bibles (includes Louis Segund French (1910), Revidierte Elberfelder Bibel (1985), Vulgate (c.405 AD), KJV, and Luther's Die Bibel)
- The Linked Word Project (keyed to Strong's numbering)
- Ancient Greek Text
- Arabic Bible for Arabic Windows Software transl. Smith and Van Dyke (1865).
- Bibli Svata: Czech Bible of Kralice (trans. Unitas Fratrum, 1579-1593):
- Danish Bible (1933 Ârs udgave)
- Finnish Bible (1933,38 Raamattu trans.)
- Finnish Bible (1992 Raamattu trans.)
- French Bible (Louis Segond Trans. of 1910)
- Geneva Study Bible
- German Bible : Die Bibel (Luther Translation)
- German Bible (Elberfelder Ubersetzung Bibel)
- The Good Way (Portions of the Bible in Arabic)
- The Hebrew Tanach
- The Holy Bible (Chinese Union Version)
- Indonesian Bible
- Italian Bible (La Bibbia)
- King James Bible (with "Apocrapha")
- King James Bible (Web version from Computers for Christ)
- Korean Bible
- The Korean Bible Gateway
- Latin Vulgate Bible of St. Jerome (405 Trans.)
- Macedonian Bible
- New Testament (Rheims:1582)
- Portugese: á BĂblia Sagrada
- Quechua Bible (Lucaspa Oeloasquan. The Gospel of Luke. (Cuzco and Ayacucho and Southern Bolivian dialects, Ecuadorian Quichua Chimborazo will be available. Includes Spanish and English parallel verses.)
- Russian Bible (requires KOI8 cyrillic fonts)
- Spanish: La Santa Biblia Antigua Versíon de Casoidoro de Reina (1569), Revisada por cipriamo de valera (1602), Otras revisiones (1862, 1909 , 1960)
- Swahili (NT)
- Swedish Bible (1917 Bibeln eller den Helig Skrift) innehâllande. Gamla Och Nya Testamentets Kanoniska Böcker i överensstämmelse med den av Konung År 1917 gillande och stadfästa oversättning.
2. Bible Study Aids
- ALSO SEE: BIBLE STUDIES/ DEVOTIONALS
- 1. Umhloli, a unique Windows-based translators' tool developed to address editing problems not yet tackled by other programs. The purpose of this freeware program is to locate some translators'
typing mistakes by checking sentence structure. It will work with many languages.
- 2. World Wide Study Bible
- Agros Ministries' Lists of Recommended Bible Commentaries:
- Bibelsenteret: Disse siderene ligger nâ agsâ pâ nettvik (Norway) (includes search utility for Bibelselskapets utgave av 1930, Dansk Bibel av 1933, etc.)
- Bible and Scripture Information from the Internet (A Pierre Guillermin Library, Liberty University)
- The Bible Study FAQ, by Shawn Abigail
- CARM Theological Dictionary, by Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry
- Chronological Study of the Life of Christ, by Dennis McCallum
- The Chuck Smith Archives (Calvary Chapel) (Sermons, Outlines, Books and Video Production)
- ChurchRodent: R.A. Tatum's Glossary of Church History
- The Concise Matthew Henry Commentary
- Easton's Bible Dictionary
- Greek / Hebrew Interlinear Bible
- Historic Monarchies (Calvary Chapel)
- King James Topics List (Computers for Christ)
- Naves' Topical Bible
- Rightly Interpreting the Bible, by Dr. Ron Rhodes
- Step by Step with the Bible
- Synopsis of the Bible, by J.N. Darby
- Torrey's New Topical Textbook
3. Books (by Title)
- ALSO SEE: COLLECTIONS OF BOOKS
- Abortion and the Christian: What Every Believer Should Know , by John Jefferson Davis (1984)
- Absent from the Body, by Jonathan Edwards (1703-1758)
- At the Back of the Northwind, by George MacDonald (1824-1905) (large file)
- Black Samson, by Levi Keidel
- The Book of Common Prayer Holy Communion Rite (US Episcopal Church 1892)
- The Book of Common Prayer (US Episcopal Church, 1979)
- A Brief Declaration and Vindication of the Doctrine of the Trinity and also of the Person and Satisfaction of Christ, by John Owen (1616-1683)
- The Burden of God: Studies in wisdom and civilization, by M. Kelley
- The Christian's Great Interest, by William Guthrie (1620-1665)
- Christologia, by John Owen ( (1616-1683))
- Church History , by Eusebius of Caesarea
- Church History (Eusebius of Caesarea) (Keyed to the Catholic Encyclopedia)
- The Ante-Nicene Fathers, Roberts and Donalson.">Church History (Eusebius Pamphilus)
- The City of God, by Augustine (AD 413-426)
- Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians (1535), by Martin Luther, transl. by Theodore Graebner (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House, 1949)
- A Compendium on Positive Theology, by John William Baier, edited by C.W.F. Walther (1877) from Rev. Bob Smith's Project Wittenberg
- Confessions, The Enchiridion, & On Christian Doctrine, by Augustine
- The Consolation of the Sick
- Dark Night of the Soul, by St. John of the Cross (1542-1591)
- The Deeper Christian Life, by Andrew Murray (1895)
- Democracy in America, by Alexis de Tocqueville (1805-1859)
- Devotions upon Emergent Occasions, by John Donne
- The Doctrine of Justification by Faith by John Owen
- Elijah - A Man of Like Nature, by Theodore Epp (from Back to theBible)
- The Ethnologue, by B. Grimes, et. al. Current version at the Summer Institute of Linguistics.
- The Ethnologue, by B. Grimes, et. al. (large file)
- The Five Points of Calvinism, by Herman Hanko, Homer Hoeksema, and Gise J. Van Baren
- The Fountain of Life Opened Up, by John Flavel
- Fox's Book of Martyrs, by John Foxe
- The Glory of Christ, by John Owen
- Gospel Grounds and Evidences of the Faith, by John Owen
- Grace Abounding in the Chief of Sinners, by John Bunyan
- Holy Dying, by Jeremy Taylor (1860)
- Holy Living, by Jeremy Taylor (1860)
- The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis
- The Inspiration, Inerrancy, and Authority of the Bible, by Dr. Ron Rhodes
- Institutes on the Christian Religion, by John Calvin
- It Didn't Just Happen, by Ethel Barrett
- The Life of John Owen, by Andrew Thompson
- The Life of Reverend John Flavel
- Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott (1869)
- Manual on Theology, by J.L. Dagg, D.D. (from Founders Online)
- Manuscript Support for the Bible's Reliability, by Ron Rhodes
- The Necessity of Prayer, by E.M. Bounds
- Of Communion with God, by John Owen
- On Prayer by John Calvin (large file)
- On the Christian Life, by John Calvin
- Orthodoxy, by Gilbert K. Chesterton
- Pensées, by Blaise Pascal (1660). trans., W.F. Trotter.
- The Pilgrim's Progress, by John Bunyan (large file)
- The Practice of the Presence of God, by Brother Lawrence
- The Pursuit of God, by A.W. Tozer
- Religious Affections, by Jonathan Edwards
- The Road to Reality, by K.P. Yohannan (Large file made available by Gospel for Asia, in Adobe Acrobat .pdf format. )
- A Serious Call to a Devout and Holy Life, by William Law (large file)
- Sketches of Church History: From AD 33 to the Reformation, by Rev. J. C.Robertson (1904)
- The Spiritual Exercises by St. Ignatius of Loyola
- The Summa Theologica (1265/1266-1273), by St. Thomas Acquinas
- The Table-talk of Martin Luther (1566) trans. William Hazlett
- Theologicia Germanica
- Till He Come by C.H. Spurgeon
- Tongues: A Biblical View, by Ovid Need, Jr.
- A Treatise on Church Order, by J.L. Dagg, D.D. (1858) (from Founders Online)
- The True Vine: Mediations for a Month on John 15:1-16, by John Murray
- Two of Me, by David Wilkerson
- Uniformity with God's Will, by St. Alphonsus
- Union and Communion, by James Hudson Taylor (Founder, China Inland Mission, now OMF International)
- A Vindication of Some Passages in a Discourse Concerning Communion with God
- Warfare of Science with Theology, by Andrew Dickson White (large file)
- What People Ask About the Church, by Dale A. Robbins
- The Works of Flavius Josephus, trans. by William Whiston (from The Wesley Center, Northwest Nazarene College)
- Writings of the Rev. John Bradford: Prebendary of St. Paul's, and Martyr, A.D. 1555
4. Collections of Books
- ALSO SEE: BOOKS (BY TITLE)
- 1. Guide to Early Church History Compiled in 1994, ICLnet's Early Church History guide is the original guide to have appeared on the internet. The Guide includes the writing of Clement, Polycarp, Ignatius, Tertullian, Cyprian, Athanasius, Augustine, and works such as The Epistle of Barnabas, the Didache (Teaching of the Lord through the Apostles), The Shepherd of Hermas, The Martyrdom of Polycarp, The Epistle of Mathetes to Diognetus. We extend thanks to Professor James O'Donnell at the University of Pennsylvania for having proofed the original edition.
- 2. Institute Practical Bible-education Electronic Public Libarary A large collection of excellent documents from the Reformed tradition.
- Augustine Includes: Confessions, The Enchiridion, and On Christian Doctrine.
- Boston, Thomas Includes: Biographical Sketch; Memoirs of the Life, Time, and Writings of the Reverend and Learned Thomas Boston; and, The Crook in the Lot.
- Bradford, John Includes: Writings of the Rev. John Bradford, Prebendary of St. Paul's and Martyr, A.D. 1555.
- Calvin, John Including various commentaries, and the Institutes.
- Edwards, Jonathan Includes: Absent from the Body; The Excellency of Christ; Directions for Judging of Persons' Experiences; A Faithful Narrative of the Surprising Work of God; A Humble Attempt; The Resolutions of Jonathan Edwards (1722-1723); Treatise on Grace; and, An Unpublished Essay on the Trinity.
- Flavel, John Includes: Christ Altogether Lovely; The Fountain of Life Opened Up; The Life of Reverend John Flavel; The Method of Grace in the Gospel Redemption; and, On Keeping the Heart.
- Luther, Martin Includes: Luther's Little Instruction Book, transl. R.E. Smith.
- Owen, John Includes: A Brief Declaration and Vindication of the Doctrine of the Trinity; Christologia; The Glory of Christ; Gospel Grounds and Evidences of the Faith of God's Elect; The Doctrine of Justification by Faith, Through the Imputation of the Righteousness of Christ: Explained Confirmed, and Vindicated; and, The Life of John Owen by Andrew Thomson.
- Reformed Canon, Liturgy, Confessions Includes: A Compendium of the Christian Religion. The Canons of Dordrecht and Confessions of Faith (Dordrecht); and, Liturgy of the Reformed Churches.
- Shaw, Robert. Includes: The Reformed Faith: An Exposition of the Westminster Confession of Faith.
- Watson, Thomas Includes: The Beatitudes: An Exposition of Matthew 5:1-12; A Body of Divinity; A Divine Cordial; The Lord's Prayer; and, The Ten Commandments
- eBooks onLine from The Plough
- The Christian Classics Ethereal Library Professor Harry Plantinga's noteworthy collection of internet texts includes text by Alphonsus, Augustine, Bunyan, Calvin, Chesterton, Donne, Edwards, Hooker, Ignatius of Loyola, Inge, John of the Cross, a Kempis, Law, Brother Lawrence, Milton, Ruysbroeck, Spurgeon, MacDonald; and Matthew Henry's Commentaries, Easton's Bible Dictionary.
- The Chuck Smith Archive: Books (Calvary Chapel)
- Commentaries on the Minor Prophets by John Calvin (Institute Practical Bible-education, The Netherlands)
- Early Church Fathers (Wheaton College) (Includes extensive writings from Ante-Nicene, Nicene, and Post-Nicene Fathers.)
- Pocket Classics from the Christian History Institute Documents include The First Apology of Justin, The First Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians, and The Persecution and Martyrdoms of Lyons in 177 AD.
Contents | ICLnet Home Page | Not Just Bibles | A Time to Sow
This document Copyright (C) 1994-1999 by John Brubaker and Gary Bogart. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction and/ or distribution for non-commercial purposes is permissible providing that the guide is left fully intact. Please do not modify this document in any way without prior consent. Send additions or corrections to the compilers at the address noted in the introduction.
cheap ray bans